A641.3.3.RB - Emotional Intelligence: Getting Results!


Goleman identifies the four elements of emotional intelligence as self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills. In learning from Goleman about how imperative these four elements can be to personal development that I was enabled to review my own personal experience to see the application of these elements. To begin I would judge my own self-awareness as being on the high end of the spectrum.  I am an individual that puts a lot of focus into my decisions and how they impact others as well as how I’m communicating those decisions.  Almost to a fault, I evaluate my own performance, even the smallest of performances, an example being a simple call with a colleague, I am hyper aware of any sort of areas where I can improve and I think that you’ve to have a high self-awareness to be able to critique yourself to the extent in which I am able to.

Self-management is the next element that Goleman discusses, being a remote worker myself self-management is rather critical to whether I see success or not every day. I will say that with self-management I may need to get better with simply managing myself and my time as I would anyone else’s. I would never ask that someone skip their lunch or work late to complete a task that isn’t critical to be completed that day, but I very often asked that of myself, negatively impacting my work-life balance.

Within the context of social awareness, I have always been extremely observant of my surroundings and others others, this of course is more challenging remote worker and calling into meetings most times.  Though I would say that I still am skilled in the social awareness element of emotional intelligence. It is shared that women tend to be better then men at emotional empathy and social skills, can confidently say that though I think my social skills are just a bit above average I will say that as a female I’m probably below-average if the statistic is valid (Goleman, 2012 ). Overall I would say they think that I am emotionally intelligent and I have the skills and abilities to implement my emotional intelligence further in the workplace.  I will certainly take the learnings from Goleman and really apply myself as an emotionally intelligent leader.


Reference

Goleman (2012, April 23). Retrieved November 3, 2019, from https://youtu.be/Y7m9eNoB3NU.

Comments

Popular Posts