A635.7.3.RB - INSEAD Reflection


I personally see great benefits self-managed teams, being in the work environment that we are in, in many cases it makes sense for team members themselves to make judgments on the most effective way to complete their job and arrive at effective outcomes. In my own role within marketing managing the work you own and how you do it is an expectation that is placed on every team member, not just leadership or management. Because of this expectation I get to see the benefits of this type of structured team firsthand. Some of the many benefits of self managed teams include the focus on team capabilities over directing, self policing on norms and identifying what is most effective for you, and simply really leveraging the knowledge based economy that we are currently in ("Self-Managed Work Teams", 2008).

Like I mentioned before, my current team by nature is rather self-managed, though this is not officially stated at the organization. I have worked in non self-managed teams and I must say that I do prefer to work on self-managed teams as I achieve the most and feel the most content with my work when I have reached a level of autonomy in my work. To become a self-managed work team manager, I think that you would need to have strong coaching skills, a keen focus on empowering leaders, and a sense of trust with your team members.

Being a self-managed team leader can pose some challenges, especially for a trained manager that is used to leading in a more of a directional capacity. Effective self-managed team leaders should have a strong understanding of unique strengths, roles, and responsibilities of the teams they are leading as those competencies are more critical to self-managed teams ("Self-Managed Work Teams", 2008).

.  
Reference
Self-Managed Work Teams. (2008, September 22). Retrieved from https://youtu.be/GBnR00qgGgM

Comments

Popular Posts