A634.2.4.RB - Theories of Ethics



As defined in our text by Lafollette, there are two types of categories of ethical theory to note, consequentialism and deontologist (2007). Consequentialism emphasizes that we should choose the available option or action with the best consequences for all stakeholders, alternatively deontology states that we follow our moral rules or rights and that these rules or rights are independent of consequences in one capacity or another (Lafollette, 2007). Ultimately the biggest cross roads where the two theories diverge is that deontology encourages us to make the moral decision even if it is the one with the least amount of positive consequences (Lafollette, 2007). An example that helped me differentiate the two theories was the case in which a consequentialist would choose to conduct non consensual experiments on humans if the knowledge gained from the experiment far outweighs the unjust decision to conduct the experiment on unwilling participants (Lafollette, 2007). On the opposite side of the spectrum the deontologist would hold true to the moral limits on what we do to others, no matter the potential outcomes bringing more benefits that could outweigh the immoral decision.

Learning more about the theories of consequentialism and deontologist really made me think hard about which one I identify with the most. In my own experience I think I lean closer towards the deontologist way of thinking, I believe that I have a moral duty to follow the rules and guiding principles and there are few times that I stray away from following them. For example, deontology emphasizes that you should choose to do the right thing no matter the consequences good or bad ("Ethics - Introduction to ethics: Duty-based ethics"). In my own experience I most often make the decision that is aligned with my moral guidelines and what I believe is right. At the end of the day, it is easier on my conscious to make decisions this way, as I know that I did not choose to sacrifice someone else’s wellbeing for the sake of another’s. Additionally, I feel that following a consequentialism mentality is a bit of a slippery slope. Who am I to decide what decision has the greatest outcomes, especially in scenarios in which the consequences may be unjust to others. As stated in an interesting article;

“On such familiar deontological accounts of morality, agents cannot make certain wrongful choices even if by doing so the number of those exact kinds of wrongful choices will be minimized (because other agents will be prevented from engaging in similar wrongful choices)” (Alexander & Moore, 2007).

By identifying with the deontological theory allows me to have a clear outlook on what is morally right and wrong in each situation, and ultimately I do not have to think through potential outcomes of the decision being negative or positive because in hindsight these are potential outcomes, not sure outcomes.




References:
Alexander, L., & Moore, M. (2007). Deontological ethics.

Ethics - Introduction to ethics: Duty-based ethics. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/introduction/duty_1.shtml
LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell.

Comments

Popular Posts