A500.5.1.RB_MenesesAlexandria

I view critical thinking as both intentional and unintentional, one isn’t necessarily better than the other but I do believe that both are very necessary to being an effective leader. Prior to conducting the good amount of critical thinking research for this course, I can definitely say that I relied on my unintentional critical thinking. Now I see that an intentional critical thinking is crucial. Critical thinking forces you to stop and focus, it places you in a position where you should use all the resources and knowledge inside of your head to solve one particular problem. Being a self-proclaimed scatterbrain, forcing myself to focus on one issue without any interruptions is challenging. What’s fantastic about the research I’ve done on critical thinking thus far is that I see that there is immense value in taking the time to think through something.

I began the semester by agreeing with Robert Ennis’s classic definition of critical thinking “critical thinking is reasonable, reflective thinking that is focused on deciding what to believe or do” (Nosich, 2012). I still very much agree with this definition of critical thinking, critical thinking is much more about making a choice and exploring a topic then it is about confirming your prior beliefs. Being a leader you not only have to think critically but you also have to communicate your thoughts with your team as well as act as a sort of facilitator for critical thinking. Through research I found that critical thinking is not necessarily a natural process, so it takes hard conscious work to do so properly, and to guide others to do so as well is challenging (van Gelder, 2005).

Today I try to slow down my thought process at work, rather then just “doing” I try to force myself to think about “doing”. At times where work is hectic and crazy, I critically think about what work I should be prioritizing, with this critical thinking exercise I’m able to come up with a list that will maximize my productivity. Additionally, I have been pushing myself to speak in premeditated manner, prior to this course I was an individual who didn’t necessarily think much about how to communicate something, this definitely posed as a challenge for me in the workplace. This isn’t something I’ve already overcome but it is something that I’m aware of and attempting to overcome. Critical thinking is, and should be, applicable in almost all aspects of not only work but also life, and I am actively making the effort to apply critical thinking to as much of my life as possible.


References:
Nosich, G. (2012). Learning to think things through: A guide to critical thinking across the curriculum (4th edition). Boston, MA: Pearson.
van Gelder (2005). “Teaching Critical Thinking: Some Lessons from Cognitive Science.” College Teaching 53 (1): 418.


Comments

Popular Posts