A641.7.3.RB - Appreciating Your "Real Self"


During this module I had the opportunity to reflect on my own mindfulness and life balance. Through the exercise I had some interesting findings that were rather unexpected, paired with a few expected findings. During the Taking Stock exercise, I discovered the interesting finding that both the work activities I consider of greatest worth and the activities I enjoy doing at work are the same. I learned that I enjoy and feel that I get the most worth out of my creative, teaching, and learning exercises in the workplace. As our text points out, the Taking Stock exercise was intended to highlight what you value in life and work and what may be dragging you down, and it certainly helped to reinforce what I value in the workplace (McKee, Boyatzis, & Johnson, 2008).

During the Mindfulness Check-in I learned that I keep much of my stress and tension in my shoulders, this was not so surprising as this being on the computer all day resolving countless issues a day I certainly tend to feel myself holding tension in my shoulders. During this exercise I also found that a common emotion I have been feeling lately is stress, this makes sense as this is a busy time at work, and school, and I have been focused on researching doctoral programs and studying for the GRE, so not entirely surprised that stress is something I am experiencing. The amount of stress I am experiencing is not something that is serving me well, so I am going to make more of an effort to minimize my stress by implementing more mindfulness activities like meditation and mindful runs.

In creating my balance wheel in the Seeking Balance exercise I was a bit disappointed as when I was looking at it in a more honest light the wheel was rather aspirational. Something I included in my wheel was running to maintain my body section of the wheel, I do enjoy running but when I get busy at work or anything else in life, I put running on the back burner and prioritize my work over my health. Overall, this exercise made me realize that I am not currently acting or making decisions succinct with the balanced self that I would like to be, so there is actionable room for improvement.




Reference
McKee, A., Boyatzis, R., & Johnston, F. (2008). Becoming a resonant leader. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.


Comments

Popular Posts