A635.5.3.RB - Video Debrief of Team MA


In conducting my own management style I learned that I am on the diplomatic side of the spectrum. Being in the diplomatic quadrant my management style is to inform, enlighten, advocate and mediate. I catch myself often mediating conversations and discussions, and when it comes to presenting I feel that I thrive in sort of informational or educational settings where I get to convey a message in an effective or inspirational way.

Watching Steve Jobs and his NeXT startup team made me think about how I could potentially fit into this startup group. Knowing now that my own management style is diplomatic, I can recognize that Steve Jobs himself is a diplomatic manager. Steve Jobs mediates, inspires, advocates and enlightens. My contribution to the NeXT startup team would not be a greatly helpful as Steve Jobs already adds that diplomatic style to the team, though I do not think that my similar diplomatic management style would harm the NeXT startup team dynamic.

The team dynamic of the NeXT startup group consists of many backgrounds and conversations that are deeply technical. Although, even with all of the technical speak and information relaying and reporting, much of what Steve Jobs is doing is keep the ultimate goal top of mind for the team. Especially in times of challenges and reasons to cut corners or slow down the process, Steve is the one who is essentially the keeper of the mission as he describes it himself. I think in ways I could assist Steve in advocating for the mission of the startup but ultimately I do not think it would add much value as Steve Jobs is extremely talented in this avenue and his efforts to do so are already quite effective according to the environment that I noticed while watching the video. This exercise of placing my own characteristics and contributions inside of the NeXT startup team was rather interesting and quite frankly now I am just curious to learn more about the outcomes of the NeXT startup team.  

Comments

Popular Posts