A635.3.3.RB - 50 Reasons Not to Change/The Tribes We Lead


Being in the early stages of my career, I simply feel frustrated and unsurprised when I hear colleagues using some of the excuses listed in the 50 Reasons Not to Change graphic. There are clearly a list full of excuses and reasons not to change something, but there are some really big reasons to change. The reasons we should look to change is to grow, learn and make things better. We have to look past all of the reasons not to change and begin to envision all of the positive outcomes that can from change and taking that first step.

Being in marketing, where funding is critical for many of our efforts, the excuse of not thinking that something can be funded is an excuse I have to admit that I have use. I think that I can change this response to instead of knocking the proposal, looking to find an alternative that may not require funding, or even proposing that we do commit to the idea but during sometime in the future where we can secure that extra funding that may be necessary.

I completely agree with Seth Godin’s concept that change is driven by tribes, when a leader is proposing a new plan they are looking to secure the support of the tribe because that is who is really going to be able to drive the change, not the leader themselves. We have really seen this mentality of change being driven by tribes especially on free formatted open platforms like social media, how many times have we seen movements begin and really impact our world get their start on social media?

The learning gleaned by this exercise are critical as being in social media and marketing is all about the tribe, catering to the tribe and engaging with them effectively. I will certainly implement this outlook on tribe led change when I am deploying my next social media marketing campaign.

Comments

Popular Posts