MSLD 511 Module 2 - Reflecting on Leadership Traits

Traits are what make every leader different, as stated in our textbook there are traits that are desired in a leader, for example, intelligence, determination, self-confidence, integrity, and sociability (Northouse, 2015). Though, if every leader had the exact same desirable traits, there would not be strengths that existed from one leader to another. It only makes sense that leadership traits should be relevant to a leader’s actions.

Just like environments may effect the type of leader you are, I see that traits also really shape your own leadership style.  Being a leader, I am well aware that my self-confidence and loyalty are huge factors in shaping the sort of leader I am. My confidence allows me to trust my teammates abilities, just as I like them to trust my own. If something is to get done, I do not see the need to check-in every step of the way, because I would not want my leader to do that to me. I think that having your own sense of confidence leads to empowering your followers to do the same.

Loyalty is another big trait that effects the leader that I am. Loyalty to me really means a commitment to exchange trust with an individual. Growing up, I was always the type to really excel when I was working towards something with a team I could really trust. I thank that trait has carried me out to my current position in my career. Having the trait of loyalty under my belt shapes my leadership style into one that is quite applicable in a setting of a team with a longer term relationship and a longer term project assignment. Additionally, I perceive myself as very determined, because of my trait of determination that makes me a leader that tries to inspire fellow teammates to be determined as well. Through this analysis, I learned that traits are huge building blocks to what type of leader we are and how we thrive in certain environments.

References
Northouse, P. G. (2015). Leadership: Theory and Practice 7th ed. Los Angeles, CA:
     Sage Publishing

Comments

Popular Posts